Sunday, December 4, 2011

Thoughts from a blissful Sabbath...

First off, let me just say, I love the Sabbath. I haven't kept it perfectly all my life, but I think it's one of the (sooooooo many) things God's been teaching me over the last few years, and I think it is absolutely one of the most beautiful gifts God has given us (if we would actually let Him).

In Mark 2:27, Jesus says "The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath."
In other words, God knows how much we need to Sabbath even more than we do. And so He gave us the command to REST. I know some people who don't shop or clean or run errands or anything on the Sabbath, and I don't usually treat it quite that way (sometimes those can be hugely worshipful activities for me...but that's a different story)... But regardless of what people do or don't do on the Sabbath, I think it's so incredibly important to use it as a day of rest from the things you need rest from, and it's glorious when you do.

I came across this quote probably five years ago, and it's always stuck with me:

"To put it another way, the rest God instituted was meant first and foremost to cause us to interpret our work, to press meaning into it, to make sure we know to whom it is properly dedicated."

I think this is such a good way to think about it. I know personally, when I get so busy with classes and teaching and grading (and applications, lately), I start to lose my sense of meaning. I trudge through daily life as if with blinders on, only able to see well enough to put one foot in front of the other, not aware of my surroundings, just struggling to survive. And this just isn't how God meant for us to live!

So every seven days, God sits me down, takes off the blinders, gently lifts my head up, opens my eyes, and invites me to glory in the bigger picture, to be refreshed by Him, to be reminded of the greater purpose in everything I've been doing all week. He invites me to BE, and not to DO. And it's amazing. I didn't really Sabbath intentionally for like the first twenty years of my life. Going into senior year at Wheaton, I was about to apply to grad schools, and knew from experience how crazy that could make a person, so I decided to be very intentional with my Sabbath. I'm sure I didn't do it perfectly, but it was a beautiful experience, and I know that God used it to help me to trust Him with my future and to not completely lose my mind.

This year (after a summer of working far too many Sunday brunches), I decided to do the same thing for basically the same reasons, and once again it's been beautiful, and I look forward so greatly to the Sabbath. I'll admit, in some ways, it's a little bit stressful, because at the back of my mind, there is a little voice telling me about all the stuff I should be doing. But the more I Sabbath, the quieter that voice is, because I know I'm not even going to give myself that option. And it's so freeing! The other six days, I always feel the pressure of this world and like I should be doing work constantly. Then the Sabbath comes and I know that I don't have to do, but only to be, and that's amazingly refreshing.

I've spent a lot of Sabbaths lately listening to sermons from my three favorite churches/pastors (Redeemer Presbyterian/Tim Keller, Red Rocks/Chad Bruegman and Shawn Johnson, and Mars Hill/Mark Driscoll), listening/worshiping/dancing to music (so much Gungor :) ), reading, talking to friends, leading the high school girls' Bible study, helping out with youth group, and just resting. God has used all these to just fill me up spiritually and revive my soul in exactly the way I need after it has been battered and worn out week after week. Without these days of refreshment and revitalization, honestly, I don't know how I'd be surviving this semester. And God absolutely uses them to re-fill me with joy even in the midst of all the stress and difficulty and bad circumstances that come into my life.

That's about all I have to say right now, except for...thank You Abba for the Sabbath! :')

2 comments:

  1. Dude, that quote... wow. YES.

    Word verification: speless
    'I went speless today guys... so embarrassing.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah thanks for sharing that. Ive never followed the Sabbath and your story is persuading me to start.

    I like that the Sabbath is one of the God-given pictures of what the new creation will be like. It will be like that rest. And we will get to meet with God like we do on the Sabbath.

    Word verification: unpro
    "Your attitude today is very unpro, man up and get to it."

    ReplyDelete